Here’s our list of the best utility stocks for fighting climate change that are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) as of 09/23/20.
We built it at Carbon Collective because we wanted a way to invest in all of the companies building solutions to climate change. From renewable energy stocks, to LEDs stocks, to recycling stocks.
For humanity to stop climate change, we need our utilities to lead the charge in electrifying everything and generating electricity with zero carbon. According to Project Drawdown, each of the following has the potential to reduce global carbon emission significantly.
- Utility scale solar: 42 – 119 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Onshore wind: 47-148 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Distributed (residential/commercial solar): 28 – 68 gigatons of CO2e reduction potential.
- Concentrated solar: 18 – 23 gigatons of CO2e reduction potential
- Offshore wind: 10 – 11 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Geothermal power: 6-10 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Nuclear power: 2-3 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Utility scale electricity storage
- Distributed (home & commercial) electricity storage
- Waste to energy: 2-3 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
- Small hydropower: 2-3 gigatons CO2e reduction potential
Disclaimer: We had trouble finding all of these stocks in one place online. So, we built the following list. We’re publishing it purely for informational purposes and not a recommendation to buy or sell.
- % CHANGE (3-YR)
- % CHANGE (5-YR)
Avangrid is a US utility leading the push to renewables with 85% of its generation coming from renewables, with the rest coming from natural gas & hydro.
CEMIG is a Brazilian utility that generates 99% of its power without fossil-fuels (mainly hydro)
Electrobras is a Brazilian utility that generates 93.5%+ of its power without fossil-fuels (mainly hydro)
Copel is a Brazilian utility that generates 93.6% of its power without fossil-fuels (mainly hydro)
Exelon is the lowest CO2e emitting utility in the US with most of their power coming from nuclear
NextEra Energy is the world's largest generator of renewable power and is investing heavily in battery storage
We’ve updated this list as of 09/23/20. If there are companies that you believe we are missing, we’d love your help keeping this list up to date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Carbon Collective:
We built Carbon Collective because we couldn’t find anywhere to invest our retirement savings that made both ethical and financial sense in the age of climate change.
So we built the world’s first series of climate-friendly, diversified, low-fee investment portfolios and teamed up with a world class online brokerage platform to automatically manage them.
Imagine an index fund in a world without fossil fuels. That’s how we build our portfolios. We replace the high-carbon parts of the stock market (fossil fuels, dirty utilities, airlines, etc.) with the companies building solutions to climate change (renewable energy, circular economy, energy efficiency, etc.).
Checkout their historical performance, carbon footprint, and fees compared to common standard and ethical portfolios.